Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Oatmeal Raisin Scones

Oh my goodness, I could eat one of these scones every single day!  They are like eating a big oatmeal raisin cookie for breakfast.  What could be better than that?  This recipe is from Nick Malgieri's "How to Bake" cookbook.  He actually pats his dough out into a disk & then cuts the scones.  I like to just drop the scones on the prepared pan because it's a very soft dough (& it's easier!).   Enjoy these with a cup of tea or coffee.  Yum!

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup granulated or light brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter (I sometimes only have salted butter, therefore I leave out the salt)
1 1/2 cups raisins
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon sugar mixed with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Set rack in the middle of the oven & preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Combine the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade.  Pulse 5 times at 1-second intervals.

Cut the butter into 12 pieces, add to the bowl & pulse 12 times until the mixture looks like fine meal.

Add the raisins & milk & pulse 3-4 times to form a very soft dough.

Drop the dough, by large spoonfuls,  onto cookie sheets that have been lined with foil, parchment or a silpat.  You should get 12 large scones.  Brush the tops with a little milk & sprinkle with the sugar-cinnamon mixture.  Bake the scones for 12-15 minutes, or until they are golden.  Do not over bake as they will be dry.

I freeze any extras, then thaw & reheat them at 350 degrees for several minutes.

3 comments:

  1. I love scones. These sound wonderful.

    I'm hosting a weekly link up, Sweet Tooth Friday, and I'd love to have you share your recipe. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/03/10/vanilla-donuts/

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is just fabulous! I love scones.....you are so talented. I have added this recipe link on my recipe page under scones!! WOWIE! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you thank you thank you!!! These are sublime. I just made them for my fiance (I'm trying to get him to stop eating Pop Tarts and cereal bars). Your recipe is perfect, the instructions are very detailed (thank you for the food processor details, I can never figure out how long to pulse or how many times).

    My fiance absolutely loves them. I made them for him to bring for breakfast all this week but I'm not sure they'll make it until Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...