Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Cheesy Beef Enchilada Casserole

We love enchiladas!  You know how you fill them, roll them & they still seem to mush together?  Well, here's an easy version.  You just layer the corn tortillas & it's almost like a Mexican lasagna.  I hope you try it.  The picture's not the greatest, but I promise, it tastes great!


1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 can (7 oz.) chopped green chilies
2 cans (10 oz. each) red enchilada sauce
12 corn tortillas
3 cups Mexican style cheese
sour cream, if desired

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.

Cook ground beef & onion in a large skillet over medium-high  heat.  Stir in green chilies & 1 can enchilada sauce.

Meanwhile, pour 1/2 can enchilada sauce in bottom of bottom of baking dish.  Arrange 8 tortilla halves over the sauce.  Spoon half of the ground beef mixture over the tortillas.  Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.  Repeat layers of tortillas, ground beef & 1 cup cheese.  End by placing the remaining 8 tortilla halves on top.  Spread remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas.  Cover with foil.

Bake 20-25 minutes or until bubbly around the edges & thoroughly heated.  Uncover; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.  Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes.  Serve with sour cream.

Makes 8 servings

I am sharing with:
Recipe of the Week

5 comments:

  1. Kitty, Mexican is my favorite! And when we go out for a Mexican dinner I always order an enchilada... or two... or three! What an easy recpe. I'm putting this On The Menu at StoneGable. Look for it on my menu with a link back to this post. Can't wait to make it!
    Thanks!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks just fabulous!!!! Wow look at who is putting it on the menu!! NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this looks delicious...and Mexican casseroles are some of my favorite! Who doesn't love ground beef, cheese, and enchilada sauce?!!!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try that!! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is going to love you for this recipe. I can easily make this vegetarian using our fake meat beef crumbles.Enchilada are his FAVORITE!!! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...