Friday, September 30, 2011

Chili

This recipe is from my DIL's grandmother.  We love this recipe as it has the right texture & flavor that we like.  Even though I live in Texas, I was born in Pennsylvania, grew up in Ohio & lived a little in Michigan.  I never heard of chili without beans, until I moved here!!!  To me, chili has to have beans, for heaven's sake!!!  I hope you give this recipe a try.  My additions are in red.


2 1/2 lbs. of ground beef
2 chopped onions                                                           
2 cans kidney beans, drained
2 cans tomato soup
2 soup cans of water
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 can tomatoes, undrained
salt, pepper to taste
1 T. chili powder
1 t. ground cumin
1 can chopped green chilis

Brown the ground beef in a large dutch oven, along with the chopped onions.  Drain.

Add the rest of the ingredients & simmer for 1/12  hours.  (Instead of simmering on top of the cooktop, I like to use my oven as a slow cooker.  I cover the dutch oven & put it in a 220-225 degree oven & let it in there for the afternoon.)

Serve with grated cheddar cheese, sour cream or whatever you like for garnishing!!  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment and becoming a new follower on my blog, Kitty!

    I agree--chili has to have beans! This recipe sounds great! I also like your idea of using your oven as a slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Green chilis and cumin are my fav in white chili but I should try in red chili! Sounds good :)

    Lina
    Fancy Frugal Life

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...