Friday, January 6, 2012

Italian Wedding Soup

My dear DIL made this delicious soup & when I tried it, it was love at first bite!  She got the recipe from Cuisine magazine.  It's a quick soup, but tastes like you've cooked it all day.  In fact, you could saute' the veggies & then throw all the rest, except for the spinach & the egg/Parmesan mixture, in the slow cooker, and add the rest before serving.  I hope you give this comforting soup a try!

This soup is so good!
Sweat in 2 T. olive oil:  
                                      
1 cup yellow onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced                                                   
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup ham, diced
1 T. garlic, minced

Add & simmer:

6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 t. dried oregano
2 t. crushed red pepper flakes (I only used 1 t. )
1 bay leaf

Drop in:

30 uncooked marble-size meatballs, recipe below ( I tried this the first time & the meatballs fell apart!!  The second time, I did what my DIL did & used a 12 oz. pkg. of turkey meatballs, cut in fourths...much better & easier!!) 

Stir in:

1 can white beans, drained & rinsed
2 cups whole spinach leaves
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

Combine, off heat, add:

2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup Parmesan, grated

Sweat veggies, ham & garlic in oil in a stockpot over medium heat until softened.

Add chicken broth & seasonings; simmer 15-20 minutes.

Drop meatballs into simmering soup with a small scoop or a melon baller.  Cook until they float to the top, 3-4 minutes.  (Or add the pre-cooked cut-up turkey meatballs).

Stir in beans, spinach & parsley.  Cook until spinach wilts, about 2 minutes.

Combine eggs & Parmesan with a whisk.  Off heat, stir egg mixture into soup. 

If you want to try Cuisine's meatball recipe that goes with the soup, here it is:

For the Meatballs—

Stir Together:
1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
1/3 cup Romano or Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup low-sodium beef broth
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 eggs, beaten
1 T. dried oregano
1/2 T. garlic, minced
1/2 T. kosher salt
1/2 T. ground black pepper
1 t. dried basil
1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
Pinch nutmeg

Add; Shape:
1 lb. ground chuck

I am sharing with:

Seasonal Sundays
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday

10 comments:

  1. This has always been a fav of mine - but I have never had it homemade...how about I just come over and share a bowl with you! I'll bring dessert! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I have a French friend married to an Italian who makes this! I hope your 1012 is off to a great start! Happy Saturday...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not made this, but it sounds good, I love soups!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks soooo good for a cold, frosty winter day, Kitty! I look forward to trying this version, as it has ham in it & a few different ingredients than the one I grew up with (we use endive & escarole instead of spinach). (I cut up the meatballs, too) Occasionally, I can find little meatballs in the freezer section of the grocery store...they work well, too.

    Thanks for sharing!
    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a rich and tasty soup!And looks very comforting too!I love soups and can have a bowl at any time of the day.Thanks so much for sharing dear - its on my to-do list the coming week:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good. Thanks for posting. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just had Italian wedding soup for the first time at a restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed it. Your recipe comes along while I'm still thinking of it. Now, all I need is a cold winter's night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks wonderful! Going to make some this week! thanks for sharing,JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kitty, this is my oldest daughters favorite soup. I'm really pleased to see your version and will experiment on her the next time she visits. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning Kitty,
    What a wonderful soup, this is a labor of love, maybe that's why it is called a Wedding Soup. It looks delicious and perfect for this icy cold weather that we are having. Thank you so much for sharing on our 1st Anniversary Party for Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...