Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Spring Irish Stew with Roasted Cabbage Wedges

I usually make a traditional Guinness Irish Stew for St. Patrick's Day.  However, in my new Cuisine magazine that I received for my birthday (Yea!!!),  they had this recipe.  It sounded delicious & I thought I'd give it a try. Oh my, was it ever "flavorful", as my dear hubby said.  It's such a quick stew, but the depth of flavors is incredible.  If you'd like to try a new version of Irish Stew, you might want to try this recipe out.  Happy St. Patrick's Day... Slainte'!!!

1 lb. ground lamb (Cuisine suggested ground beef,
        if lamb isn't "your cup of tea")
2 cups sliced carrots
1 & 1/2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed
12 oz. purple potatoes, halved (I used Honey Gold)
2 T. tomato paste
2 T. each minced garlic & fresh rosemary
1 cup dark beer, such as Guinness
4 cups low sodium beef broth
1 T. each Worcestershire sauce and Dijon
       mustard
Minced zest & juice of 1 small lemon
salt & pepper to taste
chopped fresh parsley

Saute' lamb (I used ground beef) in a Dutch oven until browned.  Stir the meat less if you want larger chunks.  Remove the meat from pot to a  paper-towel lined plate.

Add carrots, onions (I used 1 onion, chopped as I couldn't find frozen pearl onions), and potatoes to drippings in pot and saute' 5 minutes.  Stir in tomato paste, garlic and rosemary; cook until paste darkens, about 2 minutes.  Stir in flour, coating vegetables, and cook 1 minute.

Deglaze pot with beer, then stir in broth, Worcestershire and Dijon; bring to a boil and cook until vegetables are fork- tender, about 15 minutes.  Stir meat back into stew and season with zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper.  Garnish each serving with parsley.

Cuisine states that it makes 6 servings, but I think it only makes 4-5. 

Roasted Cabbage Wedges (perfect with the stew)
 Have this roasting while you make the stew

1/2 head green cabbage
3 T. olive oil
1/2 t. whole mustard seeds, crushed
Salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with foil.

Cut cabbage into 6 wedges, leaving the core intact.  Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet.  Drizzle about 1/2 T. over each wedge, then sprinkle with mustard seeds; season with salt & pepper.

Roast cabbage until edges begin to brown & it is fork tender, about 25 minutes.

I am sharing this with:

Mix It Up Monday!
On the Menu Monday
Table Top Tuesday
Your Cozy Home Party
Rock 'n Share Party
Full Plate Thursday
Thriving on Thursdays
Kathleen's 4th St. Patrick's Day Blog Crawl
Foodie Friday                                                                      
Link & Greet Party
Seasonal Sundays
Scrumptious Sunday
Recipe of the Week

18 comments:

  1. This sounds really good and a change from the usual (rish stew. love the idea of roasted cabbage, I've never tried that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry Kitty I meant Irish stew xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I am definitely gonna try this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds mighty tasty, Miss Kitty! I think Scooter would love it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful stew - full of flavor and goodness - just right for St Paddy's Day!!
    mary x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some lamb in my freezer, just waiting for a new recipe to try. I think this is the one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a new idea for me, and you can bet I will try your recipe as stew is a real comfort food at our house that everyone loves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kitty,
    This is a beautiful dish of goodness, I would use the lamb because I love it. I can't wait to try that cabbage it looks so delicious! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting! Never would hAve thought to make stew with other than beef chunks!
    Thanks for linking this, Kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This stew looks fantastic I usually make it with beef too so, this well be interesting using the lamb. I also like how you do your cabbage, it's different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy I will try it soon! Happy Pink St Paddy's day! Pink thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds delicious! I'm not a big fan of the recipes with stout or Guiness or Irish whiskey in them so this sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kitty,
    Just stopping by on Sunday night from Yvonne's, oh my what a scary experience they had today. I commented on your dish, earlier, and it still looks awesome! Hope you are having a great evening.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks fantastic. I always see ground lamb and wonder what to do with it. Please share this on my foodie friday linky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. First of all, Happy Belated Birthday! Second, that stew looks fantastic. I don't eat lamb, but I bet I would enjoy that with hamburger meat. I'm always looking for more recipes than tacos or hamburgers. Thanks for sharing at my party! I'm glad you enjoy it enough to drop by each week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmm how wonderful your stew sounds! I love stews, so comforting and satisfying!!!! Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delicious! Thanks so much for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday at Addicted to Recipes! Hope to see you at the next link party, starting Sunday!

    http://iamaddictedtorecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great week end and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...