Sunday, May 13, 2012

Chocolate Sandwich Cookie Cake

I was one of the winners at the St. Paddy's Day Blog Crawl at cuisinekathleen.com/!!  Being the generous hostess that she is, Kathleen had so many wonderful gifts to share.  I won this wonderful Williams-Sonoma cake pan, which has a really good chocolate cake recipe on the back.  They also have a frosting recipe, but the cake was just screaming for me to make  a Whoopie Pie
filling instead!!

Thanks, Kathleen, for this wonderful gift! I made this for our one DIL's birthday and everyone loved it!!



For the Cake:

1/2 cup cocoa powder,  plus more for dusting the pans
7 oz. bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
14 T. unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 cup flour
1 t. baking powder
3/4 t. salt
1 & 3/4 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 3/4 t. vanilla

Have all the ingredients at room temperature.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Using a small pastry brush, grease the 2 sandwich pans  with shortening or softened butter (I used a cooking spray and really sprayed well!!), making sure to get in all the crevices.  Dust thoroughly with cocoa powder and tap out excess.

Put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and microwave until melted, stirring once, about 1 1/2 minutes.  Let the chocolate mixture cool slightly.

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs and vanilla until well combines, Add the chocolate mixture and whisk until incorporated.  Whisk in the flour mixture until combined.

Divide the batter between the prepared pans and spread evenly.  Gently tap the pans on the counter.  Bake until the tops of the cakes are shiny and a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 35 minutes.

Transfer the cakes to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes, then invert the cakes onto a cutting board.

Make the frosting (filling): (recipe is from Cranberry Island Kitchens)

(I'm giving you the full recipe, but I only made half of this)

2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
1 (7 1/2 oz.) jar Marshmallow Fluff
2 t. vanilla

With the paddle attachment on the electric mixer, beat the butter and powdered sugar together until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add the Marshmallow Fluff and vanilla and beat until fluffy.
Spread on top of one cake and top with the other.

Kathleen suggested using ice cream between the layers as another option!

My hubby and I went to a Bed & Breakfast in Wimberley, TX, about 12 years ago and meals were served on this china.  Being the dish lover that I am, and being as discreet as I possibly could, I peeked at the pattern name.  I found out it was Mikasa Berry Delight and I quickly went to the nearest Mikasa store and found these beloved dishes.  They are from their Ultima + line and go from freezer to oven and are microwave safe and dishwasher proof and are chip resistant.  I ADORE these dishes and especially love the salad plates.  Aren't they pretty with the strawberries and blueberries?
Won't you share some cake & cup of tea with me?

I am sharing this with:
Mix It Up Monday!                                                                
On the Menu Monday
Tea Time Tuesday at Rose Chintz Cottage
Your Cozy Home Party
Crazy Sweet Tuesday
Tasty Tuesday
Rock 'n Share Party
The Bunny Hop
Let's Dish!
Tablescape Thursday
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday
Weekend Potluck                                                           
Sweets for Saturday
Link 'n Greet Party                                            
Seasonal Sundays

37 comments:

  1. I've seen those sandwich cookie cake pans and thought they would be fun to have, your cake looks yummy! Those dishes are so pretty with the strawberries and blueberries, I'm afraid I might have been peeking for their pattern name as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only is that totally cool looking, it sounds like it tastes even better. Yum! (And congrats on the blog crawl win!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my! This is so wonderful! I'm sure it tastes fantastic!
    Thanks for popping in to see me and hope you're having a nice Mother's Day.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun!!!

    That is such a cute cake, Kitty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cake sounds great, bet it would work with my tiara pan too! Your plates are very pretty Kitty! Hope you had a great Mother's Day:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a yummy sounding cake! Love anything with marshmallow fluff. I've been known to take a peek at the bottom of dishes too :-) The strawberries and blueberries pattern is perfect for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake looks great! I bought those pans several years ago and a couple of my grandkids insist we make it when they come to visit. I've never used that frosting recipe though and honestly I think it would be perfect. Much better than what I was using. This is the second icing recipe I've gotten from you in a week now. You are THE queen of icings. But everything you do here is always fabulous. I'm now getting your blog by email as I don't want to miss a post. I LOVE your blog. And you being from Texas....well girl you've become one of my new best blogging budds. :D

    Nann

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS I adore those plates and now I'm going to go look them up. They make a beautiful tablesetting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh dear gosh...this looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your win! That is one cool cakepan! I've never seen it before.
    (Your dishes are lovely..so spring-like!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats! That is such a cute pan and your cake turned out great!
    I would love to come to your house and have some cake and tea. The plates are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You won a pretty cool pan Kitty. My husband would love this cake, chocolate cookies are his downfall.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kitty, that is a cute cake pan; very unique! And what a wonderful cake it made. Congrats for winning it! Your Berry Delight dishes are really pretty and perfect for this time of year. Thanks for joining me for tea today and enjoy your week.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you are enjoying your pan! I usually ice both inside layers with chocolate and the use whipped cream filling. That is what the gkids like best!
    Love those pretty dishes!
    Thanks so much for linking to Let's Dish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well just how FUN is that?? VERY cute - I adore specialty stuff like that...even more when you can WIN it! =) I'm having a giveaway at my blog...would love for you to stop by and enter.
    http://www.thebetterbaker.blogspot.com/2012/05/its-time-for-giveaway-yall-come.html Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kitty, What a cute cookie cake! Lovin' it Kitty!
    xo, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so cool! I love that you turned it in to a ginormous whoopie pie! We'd love for you to link up with us for Tasty Tuesday over at http://www.aletteredlife.blogspot.com ~Holley

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, this is so pretty and I would love this. Fabulous. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  20. How fun!!! I've never seen a cake like this before! It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love, love your plates. I bet everyone you know looks for the name of the pattern when you aren't looking. I've seen those big cookie pans, and have always thought they were adorable. Seeing the cake you made confirms that this is an incredibly cute idea! Bet your family loves it. Thanks for sharing with us at Your Cozy Home Party!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the cookie cake and I Wish I had some right now. thank you for sharing.
    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the cookie cake, Kitty!

    The plates are beautiful! Love the berry design.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kitty, that cake would not be safe with me. Thanks for your comment. I had no space for the Red Willow (I also got Blue Willow) so I moved food out of the pantry. Who needs food? hugs, olive

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your cake sounds delicious and that pan is too cute. Love your Berry Delight dinnerware, too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful pattern. I've never seen it before. Just lovely.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  27. Kitty~ Love your cake, what a fun pan! What a great Mikasa pattern~ I love the border and the berries :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. kitty, that cake looks amazing! Love your Mikasa china, and the way you found it! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your cake looks delicious!!!

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats on winning the cake pan...the cake sure looks yummy, Kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great cake pan.. lucky you!!! Love those dishes too. so happy that you peeked and were able to find them. sorry wasn't here earlier,, had some internet issues. have a wonderful weekend, xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is so impressive-- not to mention fun!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great pan!Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your cookie cake Kitty. Thank you for sharing and congratualtions on winning!

    ReplyDelete
  35. How great your cookie turned out. Stopping by to say Hi from the blog hop. Come visit sometime, tea is cold and no shoes are required. Kathy B. http://www.southernmadeintheshade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...