Monday, June 25, 2012

Red, White and Blue Pie


I saw a picture of this pie in our utililities co-op magazine.  There wasn't a recipe for it, but I thought it
was perfect for a 4th of July dessert.  Here's how I put it together for a quick, easy rendition:

                                                                                                                        
a single crust pie dough, either homemade or store bought
1 can cherry pie filling (I used a Fischer and Wieser product that I bought at Costco...a little expensive, but sooo good!)
1 can blueberrry pie filling (only part is used, refrigerate the rest for another use)

Roll out the pie crust bigger than normal.  Cut 4 strips and several stars from the edges.  I made a paper copy of a star, but if you have a tiny star cookie cutter, it would be so much easier!!  Make sure, with the remainder of the dough, that you have a nice, round shape to fit in your pie plate.

Fit the round pie crust into the pie pan. Turn the edges under and crimp.   With a piece of foil, fold the foil into a strip and make an "L" shape.  Fit this into the upper left corner (it will be a backword "L").  Pour the cherry pie filling in the larger portion and then the blueberry filling in the small quarter.  Carefully remove the foil.  Place your strips of dough on for the stripes on the cherry pie filling  and your stars on the blueberry filling.

Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes, then turn down to 350 degrees and bake for 35-40 minutes, until filling is hot and bubbly.

Enjoy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.   Happy 4th of July!!
Where I got the idea!
                                                                              
I am sharing this with:
Mix It Up Monday!
On the Menu Monday
Tea Time Tuesday at Rose Chintz Cottage
Weekend Potluck Linky
My recipe was featured!
You're Gonna Love It Tuesday
Crazy Sweet Tuesday
Cowgirl Up
The Bunny Hop
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday                                                                                       
Weekend Potluck
Pink Saturday
Sweets for Saturday
Seasonal Sundays

17 comments:

  1. Pretty! I love all things red, white and blue. And, it's a pie, so that's a win-win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great -- LOVE the idea of both cherries and blueberries :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours turned out so nice! I love the idea of mixing 2 berries in one pie but not mixed together (did that make any sense at all?? LOL). I'd love it if you shared this at my party at
    http://www.kathewithane.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Great colors with the blueberries and cherries! Bet it didn't last long:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pie is so patriotic, perfect for the 4th! You did a super job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty! I love berry pie best of all! If I could eat sugar, I would be in trouble with that recipe! heehee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever, you would want to set it out on the table before everyone then cut it after it has been seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kitty! Your cherry pie looks great and so perfect for the 4th.
    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete
  9. how wonderful kitty, it is a GREAT way to celebrate the fourth!!! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is SUCH a cool pie! I just love it. If you need an idea for that leftover filling, you could try the Easy Cheese Danishes at my blog - they are fabulous. =) You can add pie filling on top of the cream cheese in the center...absolutely mouth-melting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely decoration. Clever and sweet - I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kitty, Your pie looks yummy! :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cute and easy! I am gonna have to try this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This pie looks amazing! I'm a new follower and would love if you followed me at www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I might even be able to put this one together it is lovely and a great idea!!!!Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Mornin Miz Kitty - Wanted you to know I'm featuring this lovely pie as a personal favorite at Weekend Potluck today...C'mon over and get your featured button. =) Keep cool Dear!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...